The union has also praised the ruling Labour and SNP councillors for working with UNISON to find a better way forward, despite the pressures on them. It also welcomed the support of the Green councillor.
UNISON remains opposed to all cuts and all job losses and we will continue to fight to get the Government to give local government fair funding to protect jobs and services. We will also continued the fight against compulsory redundancies with industrial action if necessary.
But we also know that many members will have applied for, or will be considering voluntary severance/ redundancy.
That’s why we have:-
- won significant improvements in voluntary release terms (see box)
- got the timetable extended through organisational reviews so people will know better where they stand
- pushed for better consultation and information sharing so staff are not kept in the dark
- kept up the campaign against compulsory redundancies.
- But compulsory redundancies are still on the agenda and we must keep up that fight through industrial action if necessary.